Welcome to the Bar Re-boot
Very little has changed. It's the same program as always. If you have a log-in, you're all set.
This is the intermediate instructions on how to use the bar. If you want bare-bones, visit the Bare Bones instructions page.
If you would like these instructions with pictures and arrows, visit the Graphic Instructions page.
We have gone to a good bit of work to make getting on the bar as easy as possible. If you're reading this, and you had been active on the bar in the past year, you were grandfathered in. The new bar location has all your login details, your username, signature, etc.
If your pre-existing Bar login didn't work, or if you've never been here before, there is a process to become a member. The bar is only available to folks who are customers of Baen. If you've made a purchase at Baen.com, you're set. If you've never been a customer, we want to welcome you, but we ask that you contribute to maintaining the Bar. Over at Baen.com there's a 'product' called the tip jar that lets you make a contribution to the support of the Bar. Do that, and you're magically a customer!
If you think you should have been grandfathered in but it didn't work you can simply register at the Bar's registration page. If you do that, remember that you'll need to use the same email that you used as a Baen customer.
Or, you could try a password reset. The choice is yours. if you want to do a password reset you need to:
- Visit http://baensbar.net (you've probably already done that if you're reading this. )
- Click the login link in the upper right corner.
- Click the "forgot password" link to the right of the password.
- Type in your email that you used to register on the old bar and press "Reset Password."
- Close the browser tab or window of the bar. You've done all you can now. Go to your email and wait.
- Don't forget to check your junk and spam folders since baensbar.net is going to be new to you. You can try searching for that if you don't see it in your inbox.
Once you get the email from the bar, click on the link in the email. This verifies that you wanted to do the password reset.
It would have been nice if the page that came up said "Yes, I see, you have verified your email and that you wanted a password reset." It doesn't. Instead, it shows you the login screen. You can not yet log in. Remember, I told you that you had to get TWO emails. This was only one.
Let me say that again. You can't log in yet. Go back to your email and wait again.
- When the second email arrives, it has a TEMPORARY bar password in it. Go to the login page you were just at, put in your bar login ID and the temporary password. This should let you into the bar. If it doesn't, and you've carefully tried this twice, again, email firstname.lastname@example.org who will help you.
- Now, again in the upper right of the screen, click the link labeled CONTROL PANEL.
- In the upper left, click "Account Settings"
- About six lines down on the right, you will see a link "change password." Click it.
- A popup window will appear. If it doesn't, you may have to allow popups.
- Put in the temporary password you got in email two.
- Put in your preferred password -twice-.
- Click "GO"
Your password has now been changed.
- Click "Home" in the far upper right again. You should see all the bar forums.
Now, you can go on to get email subscribed, or sign up for NNTP, but first, play around with the new bar and see how fast and neato it is.
What to do next?
Sign up for email
Use NNTP to access the bar
But most important, enjoy yourself!
[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2021 15:11] by Moderator
Report message to a moderator